Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Quote That Won't Go Away

One day after President Obama announced Sonia Sotomayor as his pick for the Supreme Court, critics have latched on to one particular quote from a speech she gave in 2002:
"I would hope that a wise Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."


This single sentence has prompted accusations that Sotomayor is a racist and a bigot, and has surely opened the door for a nationwide discussion on identity politics.

As I chowed through my regular news diet today, I've seen this quote cited in every single article I've read about Sotomayor. Since her confirmation won't happen until August, I think the fury over this quote should die down eventually, but at some point Sotomayor is going to have to explain what she meant when she said this. However, even when she does finally get the chance to elaborate on her statement, I don't think she will be able mollify the "imagine if this was a white man making these statements" crowd.

No comments: