Monday, December 1, 2008

The economy sucks

3,400 Washington Mutual employees were told they would be losing their jobs today in Seattle. It's a pretty scary time across the country and right here in my own backyard. In spite of these tough times, people seem to be optimistic about the future of the country - or at least I am.

The day after the election I was talking to a friend who had been heavily involved in the Obama campaign. She said after Obama won that she couldn't wait to do more. She wanted to be asked to do something more for her community and her country right away. When she first said this, I have to admit I didn't totally get what she was saying. But now I think I kinda do.

The Obama campaign did an incredible job mobilizing people across the country during the election season, but I hope that he will ask Americans to do even more and I hope that he will call upon us as a nation soon. I know the president-elect is busy planning his transition, but I just feel a little left out. I drank to kool-aid, got all riled up about getting involved, and now I have nothing to do.

So, President Obama, if you're reading this, please give me a job that doesn't involve getting spammed with email messages asking for donations for your transition planning..

I'm here and I'm waiting.

No comments: